EMBRACE YOUR VICES, My friends.
Pizza queen? Try it on whole wheat crust with a mountain of veggies.
Chocoholic? Get a mug or two of hot cacao simmering on the stove.
Me? I have a few, but french fries have a way to my big ol’ gluttonous heart like no other.
…And it definitely doesn’t end with a little skinny-sliced potato and sea salt. If its fry time you better have 2-3 dips to splatter, drip and dip those crispy tator’s in.
Say it with me now, soft potatoes with a lightly crunchy exterior, drizzled with a cooling garlic tahini sauce and dunked in a spicy-sweet tomato ketchup. No deep fryer or high fructose corn syrup needed.
I doubt you need any more convincing.
Extra benefits? You’re left with a helluva lot of extra ketchup you can use on say…homemade veggie burgers…or mac n’ cheeze… I caught Peter dousing it on his sandwich today (weirdo).
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (toss the seeds unless you like it firey)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T tomato paste
- 1 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 3 T maple syrup
- 1 T chili powder
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t dried chili flakes (if you like it spicy)
- 2 T apple cider vinegar
- salt to taste
- 4 russet potatoes, scrubbed with skins on and cut into wedges
- 4-5 fresh stems of thyme, minced finely
- 1 T grapeseed oil.
- herbamare or sea salt
- Start by soaking your potato slices for at least 30 minutes in a large bowl of water. This helps to release some of the starch and creates extra crispy fries!
- Make your ketchup: In a large saucepan heat oil over medium heat and add in jalapeno, garlic and onion. Sweat about 15 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes, maple syrup, tomato paste and spices. Cook over medium heat until mixture is reduced noticeably, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in apple cider vinegar and season with salt.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay out your fries evenly, giving them plenty of room to crisp properly. Sprinkle with salt and drizzle with grape seed oil.
- Bake fries for 30 minutes. Flip fries carefully, increase heat to 425 and bake for another 15 minutes. Fries should be golden brown and crispy!
- While still warm, sprinkle fries with fresh thyme and more sea salt if needed. Serve immediately with jalapeno ketchup and garlicky tahini.