When it comes to cottaging and weekend gettaway eating- preparation is gold. I don’t know how many times I have brought ingredients for a recipe thinking i’ll ‘make a quick salad’ while i’m up there, only to abandon the whole thing for a charred veggie dog.
Something about a crackling fire, stand up paddle boarding and wine spritzers that make you want to stay far far away from a cutting board.
This summery dish provides the major crave-able flavour of your standard Italian pasta salad: fresh herbs, zingy garlic and savoury sun dried tomatoes and olives– plus a few nutrient-dense add in’s to make it a meal.
White Navy Beans– A worthy sub for the feta cheese that would normally be in this italian dish. Super soft, creamy and high in fibre and protein!
Spinach- You won’t even notice these delicate iron and phytonutrient-packed leaves folded into your noodles.
Creamy Hemp Dressing: AKA liquid gold. Amazing flavour aside, it’s packin’ all 9 essential amino acids, omega 3’s and fibre. Fresh lemon gives it a zing!
- 1 1/4 cup cooked white navy beans
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomato, minced
- 1/2 cup good quality black olives, pitted and minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped into ribbons
- 1 heaping cup of spinach, roughly chopped
- 340 grams gluten free pasta (roughly 4 cups uncooked)
- optional: sprinkle nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- juice of one large lemon (roughly 4-6 tablespoons)
- 1 heaping teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 heaping teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon or more sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Prepare the salad dressing by combining all ingredients in a mini blender or food processor. Blend for 30 seconds to 1 minute until completely creamy and combined. Taste and adjust as necessary.
- Cook your pasta according to it's directions. Once drained, put noodles in a large salad bowl.
- With pasta still warm, pour dressing over noodles and stir to coat.
- Into noodles add in sliced sun dried tomatoes, fresh basil, pitted olives, and spinach. Stir to coat.
- Season with extra fresh ground pepper and nutritional yeast as desired.
- Store in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
- The flavours will merry beautifully if you make it the night before you want to enjoy it!
- Tasty room temperature or cold.