Now that it’s a scorcher out and we’re spending less and less time in the kitchen, having a high energy snack on hand has become super important. Every time I turn on that oven or stove the apartment becomes one nasty sauna so no-bake snacks to keep in the freezer really hit the nail on the head.
I don’t know about you but I’m not a fan of the 99 ingredient bliss balls that send you to the health food store with a confusing list you can’t pronounce. So here are some simple but powerful raw brownie bites you can pulse up in under 10 minutes flat!
If theres one thing my clients struggle with is to consume enough omega 3’s. Especially those on a plant based diet, it is so important to have atleast 2-3 servings of healthy fats in the form of nuts, seeds, or healthful oils like flax.
These balls combine the miracle nut (walnut) with energizing dates and some rich cocoa powder. That’s really it! The toasted pecans on the outside are to give it a ‘Turtle’ flavour which any chocolate truffle lover will appreciate. But any toasted nut will work here, so use what you got!
Walnuts: High in omega 3’s, heart and brain healthy antioxidants, minerals and protein. Promote healthy cholesterol levels, and shown to reduce the risk of prostate and breast cancer.
Dates: High in iron, magnesium, calcium and zinc. Great for bone and hair health and strength due to their high mineral content. High in fiber and naturally energizing!
- 1 cup pitted dates (softened in a bowl of hot water and then drained)
- 1 heaping cup walnuts (can sub almonds, I did 50/50)
- 2 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pecans
- Make topping: Bake pecans on a cookie sheet in the oven for 7-8 minutes until toasty. Set aside to cool slightly and then blitz in food processor until fine crumbles. Remove from food processor and set aside.
- Make brownies: In a food processor, blitz walnuts, coconut oil, salt and cocoa powder until crumbly. Add in dates and blitz until combined, mixture should be sticky and crumbly.
- Roll into small balls and cover with blitzed toasted pecans in a rolling motion.
- Enjoy right away! Or try frozen for extra chew. Store in an airtight container in fridge or freezer.