simple vegan apple cinnamon donuts
Not to throw it in your face or anything- but there’s talk of this thing called ‘Fall’ coming.
While our summer dresses’s get less and less wear, and our two pieces tuck neatly into the back of our mind, we make room for something very special…
Do you dunk?
Nibble around the edges?
Me? I was more of a timbit girl growing up. (for my non-canadian friends, timbits are our tim horton’s equivalent of the tiny ‘doughnut hole’ they offer down south)
Road trips up north to the cottage wouldn’t be complete without stops every hour for a coffee refill and 20-pack of chocolate dipped…
While the plant-based-nutritionally-inclined life + honey crueller’s don’t exactly come hand and hand, I still reserve a tiny place in my heart for that bake shop.
Some of the favourite last memories with my Oma included walking her there every Monday for a bagel and cream cheese with a side of apple fritter. She was all about that cinnamon sugar.
But who isn’t?
These sweet simple donuts are a throwback to the classic fall combo of a cinnamon’y donut dunked into a steaming hot cup of coffee. Cue the crunchy leaves and apple orchard photoshoots.
What you won’t get with these delicious pillowy dough bites is the refined sugar, processed flour and other preservatives they put in the store bought version.
Instead, they are sweetened with shredded apple, coconut sugar and maple syrup. A small amount of coconut oil makes them moist and bouncy on the inside.
The flavour is reminscent of the old fashioned donuts you get sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.
The topping is up to you of course, during testing I got a littttttttle over zealous with date caramel, coconut sugar and cinnamon, and maple syrup.
All for the sake of ‘testing’ right?
Simple Vegan Apple Cinnamon Donuts
Everything you love about old fashioned cinnamon donuts- made healthy with simple vegan and gluten-free ingredients. So simple and delicious- dunk away!
1 cup oat/whole wheat/spelt flour
3 tbsp. coconut palm sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup apple, shredded
2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup plant milk
1 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tbsp. chia seed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and grease your donut pan lightly with coconut oil.
- In a small bowl combine chia seed, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar maple syrup and plant milk.
- Stir in shredded apple.
- In a larger bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and brown sugar.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, mixing until just coated. Do not over mix. Mixture will be very thick, as the apples will release water.
- Carefully scoop batter into donut pans using a spoon, filling molds about 3/4 way.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the tops are golden brown, and the donuts spring back when pressed.
- Let donuts cool before you take them out of the pans, they will feel soft, stiffen up as they cool