the dirt on spirulina secret cashew butter spirulina sauce
me up in the bottom of a coffee cup or sugary treat?
Been there, chugged that.
While nature doesn’t provide us an instant pill to lift our spirits and brighten our skin, Spirulinareigns as a near perfect child hiding over 100 vital nutrients in each teaspoon!
Back it up. What is the creepy green stuff?
Spirulina is a type of blue-green algae that is harvested from highly alkaline waters. It’s health benefits have been celebrated by algae-loving folk dating all the way back to the Aztecs who downed the stuff for prolonged energy and stamina! (the og wellness warriors)
You can pick up Spirulina at most health food stores in the form of tablets, powder, pills or capsules. I’m a fan of the powder now that I’ve gotten over the whole eating algae by the spoonful thing.
The taste is hard to put your finger on, but a quality spirulina will taste mildly earthy and grassy without any trace of ‘fishy’.
how you can benefit from spirulina:
- powerful + protective antioxidant properties
- clean sustained energy
- contains 60% PROTEIN; and contains all 9 essential amino acids.
- highly anti-inflammatory
- immune boosting
- high in chlorophyll: the ‘blood’ of plants, which is very alkalizing and energizing
- high in B vitamins (and a great source of b12 for vegans!)
- extremely rich in easily-absorbed minerals like iron, zinc, magnesium, selenium, calcium.
how to get it down:
- blitzed into green smoothies (makes it look even more bad ass)
- shaken into coconut water (surprisingly tasty)
- stirred into nut butters
- swirled into oatmeal
- natural ‘green food dye’ for frosting, candies, etc. (no more aqua green #4)
- by the spoonful in the secret sauce I share below
are you an algae virgin? holler at me below!
- 1 tablespoon cashew butter
- 1 teaspoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon spirulina (less if you are a newbie)
- drop vanilla extract (optional)
- 1+ tablespoon water/plant milk to thin
- Combine all ingredients except water in a small bowl. Stir until spriulina is fully incorporated, being sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl. Stir in a little liquid pinch at a time until desired consistency is reached. Taste and add more maple syrup if desired.
- Enjoy this on soaked oats, smoothie bowls, fruit bowls and by the spoon. Double or triple the batch and it will last 1-2 weeks in the fridge (depending on which plant milk you use)