creamy roasted carrot & pear soup
creamy roasted carrot & pear soup
Do you ever take your well-being for granted?
Breathing easy, a clear head, firmly stepping one foot in front of the other.
Last week was ‘Immune Health Week’ at PBN, and as I prepared for my first seminar, encapsulating everything I have learned about keeping your body protected throughout flu season, the most ironic, humbling thing happened…
I got the flu.
It started slowly, a suspicious prickly throat one day, a headache the next.
But by day 5 it was a full on-exhaustion, runny nose, can’t taste-can’t smell-can’t care DEBACLE.
I’ll tell ya, besides walking around like a zombie all day, not being able to taste your favourite foods is an eye opener.
Days later, on the other side of my earth shaking cough, I can almost thank the universe for the lesson it was providing during that energy-sucking, vitamin-C-popping, tea-drinking fiasco of a cold-
Don’t get lazy.
Don’t forget how lucky you are to be alive and healthy. Treat your body like you would someone you love.
And don’t forget your brightly coloured fruits and vegetables- like this gorgeous glowing soup!
I am certain the only thing my body took pleasure from besides bubble baths and bed time were the colourful soups I poured every last ounce of my energy into making.
This Creamy Roasted Carrot & Pear soup was the class favourite at my Immune Boosting Talk last week.
Picture this: sweet and subtle pear and creamy carrot bubbling in the oven into golden brown, thrown on the stove with onions, garlic and spices and blended with coconut milk.
Its a fall party in a bowl of spicy, sweet and savory.
Flavorful enough to cut through even your toughest colds, and accelerate up your recover time while your at it.
Ginger? A powerful anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-bacterial, effective against nausea, muscle pains.
Garlic? A potent anti-viral, detoxifying, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory.
Carrot? Rich in vitamin A, which is a main player in keeping our bodies immune system happy and thriving.
If you are looking for the soup to brighten up your foggy fall day, serve at Thanksgiving to the young and old, or put together in a dash- this is your meal!
Creamy Roasted Carrot & Pear Soup
Creamy, light, decadent roasted carrot soup with the gentle sweetness of pears and coconut milk. This soup packs major flavour with powerful flu-fighting properties!
4 cups carrots, roughly chopped
2 pears, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/4 dry white wine (can omit)
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
6 cups vegetable broth
1 cup full fat coconut milk
1 teaspoon garam masala
salt and pepper
teaspoon of lemon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place chopped carrots and pear on pan and drizzle with melted coconut oil. Roast for 25-30 minutes until carrots are golden brown and tender
- In a large pot, heat a splash of grapeseed oil on medium heat for 5-7 minutes until translucent
- Stir in garlic and ginger, and white wine if using cook for another 5 minutes until wine is cooked down.
- Add the roasted carrots and pear, broth, and spices. Bring to a boil for about 15 minutes until carrots are very tender.
- Pour in coconut milk, and scoop soup mixture carefully into a high speed blender. Be sure to allow the steam to escape.
- Blend for about 40 seconds until light, fluffy and smooth.
- Squeeze with a bit of lemon and sprinkle with extra black pepper and salt if needed