black bean burrito burgers with avocado aioli
idea of making veggie burgers from scratch because of their multi-step directions, long list of ingredients and often disappointing texture. If carnivores can throw together 3 ingredients and have a grill-worthy summer treat in 5 minutes- where is the plant-powered option?
These Mexi-flared burgs defy all odds and are both simple and incredibly easy to form. Stupidly easy. I mean no more mashing furiously with a fork until your black beans are ‘just so’.
Throw all the ingredients in a food processor, blitz 3 times and your burgers are ready to be manhandled into perfectly spherical patties. Yay!
Did I mention they are burrito inspired?
The whipped avocado aioli is heaven in a spoonful, the texture has lead others to believe there is in fact, cream hiding in its dreamy texture.
Considering you SOLD.
easy vegan burrito burgers with avocado aioli
for the burgers
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 green onions, chopped.
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 jalapeño, seeded (if you like it a little spicy)
- 1 tablespoon chia seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Toppings: salsa, avocado, hot sauce, green onion, dice tomatoes.
for the aioli
- 2 avocados
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- juice of half a lime
- dash hot sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients in food processor and pulse until combined. You will want it slightly smooth but still to see little chunks of bean and rice.
- Using your hands, scoop burgers into 6 equal patties and place on parchment. Optional* distribute a tablespoon of olive oil and both sides of patties for a little extra crisp.
- Bake for 12 minutes on each side until slightly golden brown.
- While baking patties, prepare your avocado aioli by combining all ingredients in a mini chopper/small food processor/vitamix. Blend until completely smooth. Taste and season as you like.
- Serve the burgers in a wrap of romaine lettuce, cabbage, collard green or bun. Top with avocado aioli, salsa, tomatoes, hot peppers, or anything else you would enjoy on a burrito.