Is Paleo Worth a Bite? My Take On the Popular Diet
Do you scoff when you overhear someone say they are dabbling in paleolithic ways,
Or have you seen & reaped the benefits of the caveman ways of life?
Admittedly my eyebrows were furrowed at first hearing about the praised diet’s explosion onto the health and wellness scene. ‘Eat lots of animal protein….ditch the beans, grains and feel awfully smug about it?‘
Yeah not exactly something to write home about. (or so my little veggie-head thought)
People often assume as a vegan nutrition-nut my standard recommendation when looking for guidance would always be ‘GO PLANTS GO’ but in real life, diets are never a one size fits all approach. How fun would that be?
I will stand here and wave my plant-based flag like a maniac, but every body has unique needs and HECK if i’m going to ignore a solid health approach with scientifically-backed research.
Thanks to the backing by some highly regarded doctors and scientists, it has now come to light that versions of the paleolithic diet can offer a lot more benefits than just a toned tummy and fewer cravings. The health conscious, not just carnivorous are continuing to turn to the paleolithic diet for the relief of a variety of symptoms and health conditions (hopefully with the guidance of their friendly health practitioner)
To name a few:
- allergies and food sensitivities
- gut health
- muscle building
- autoimmune conditions
So whats my take?
– We can always benefit from removing processed foods from the diet. Get rid of that junk and shop on the perimeter of the grocery store.
– Some people and health conditions would certainly do best with the removal of highly allergenic and over consumed foods like dairy and grains.
– Not everyone thrives off of beans, legumes and seeds. They take a lot of digestive fire that isn’t always in the bag.
– Any diet that shuns sugar and promotes the consumption of organic fruits and vegetables is COOL in my books.
I may be the first vegan to tell you paleo is a good idea, but the truth is, if it is done correctly, like the plant-based diet, you can feel amazing on it.
Here are my top tips to make paleo healthy and sustainable for Y-O-U
- Start slow. Begin with a trial period and tune into your body with a food journal to track your progress.
- Modify, Modify, Modify! Don’t be afraid to let foods back in that you originally nixed. This is YOUR diet, not John Doe’s.
- Focus on veggies. A diet high in animal protein, if not balanced with alkalizing fruits and vegetables, can be seriously acid-forming on the body. Prevent disease, promote longevity and keep yourself feeling vital with large amounts of leafy greens and brightly-hued fruits and vegetables.
- Buy grass fed, organic, and pasture raised. For your health. For the environment. For the animals! Its expensive, yes. But if you put quality over quantity your body will thank you!
- Practice moderation: it doesn’t have to be all black and white! After experimentation CHOOSE the paleo ideals that work for you best and drop the rest.
Craving for more info about Paleo? I frequently visit Chris Kresser as my resource for all things paleo-related. Take a peak for yourself!
Take care friends!