peanut butter rocky road banana ice cream
Allow me to paint this picture for you.
Its a sweaty summer evening and you’re smack dab in the middle of a Netflix binge with your man pondering just how you are going to get some ice-cream delivered to your couch.
You’re dinner was healthy. Maybe a little too healthy? Leaving you craving chocolate more than normal.
But you don’t have chocolate. And you don’t have ice cream. But you definitely have bananas hanging in the freezer preparing themselves for tomorrow’s smoothie…
What if we went all rouge on typical banana ‘ice cream’ and mixed in our favourite ice cream flavours to make it 100% dessert worthy?
If you aren’t familiar with banana ice cream, its the mystical process of blending frozen ripe bananas (in a powerful blender) until they are whipped and have reached a texture remarkably like the real-churned-deal.
The best part about banana ice cream, or ‘nice cream’ is that it takes 2 minutes to make and it incredibly customizable to your cravings.
Post workout? Throw in a scoop of protein.
Hot day? Add in some frozen berries and make it more sorbet-like.
This peanut butter rocky road ice cream is creamy and indulgent-tasting just like the one you enjoyed after a soccer game when you were 12.
Except this time around its made with all natural, sugar free ingredients and hiding some seriously healthy add-in’s.
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 3 dates, chopped
- 3 tablespoons your favourite nuts, roughly chopped (I used walnuts and cashews)
- pinch salt
- mini chocolate chips to top (optional)
- Slice your bananas and freeze them for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- In a high powered blender, blitz the bananas, coco powder and salt until smooth and creamy. This may take bout 60 seconds or more, stopping to scrape down the bananas and move things along if necessary. It will be very loud and scary sounding but hang in there! Once the bananas are blended smooth, add in your nuts and dates and blend for another 10 seconds until everything is mixed in.
- Serve immediatly with extra peanut butter or nuts on top and sprinkle with chocolate chips