superfood cheezy mac
superfood cheezy mac
I needn’t give you the rundown of why macaroni and cheese is so irresistible.
You’ve most likely all been through a box of Kraft Dinner in your day; swirled with ketchup or hotsauce… you may have even gotten fancy and chopped up little hot dogs.
I’m not judgin’
Back in university days, when I spent all of my money at the
bar mall, KD was an economical source of cheezy comfort.
Those glory days are over though, along with my shirtless Zac Efron poster and water-damaged blackberry collection.
I suppose this is the part that I tell you that my macaroni and cheese is “wayyyyy better than the original blue box, bright orange, powdered magic variety”
I’m not going to lie and say your 4 year old won’t know the difference.
There is a few too many power foods hiding in there, and not enough orange food dye to fool his suspicious eyes.
This stuff is crazy delicious.
Picture a mild, creamy, garlicy alfredo sauce blanketing macaroni noodles.
Your mouth is happy, your mind is happy, your body is fueled.
And you know why?
It’s made with 4 different vegetables, 2 of my favourite power seeds and seasoned for extra cheezy-ness.
Lets break it down shall we?
Cauliflower– A natural choice for a vegan creamy sauce. After roasting it blends into a dreamy sauce rich in cancer-preventing antioxidants and detox-supporting compounds.
Sunflower seeds– Provide a creamy, cheezy taste while being packed with skin-loving antioxidant vitamin E.
Hemp Seeds– Contain all 9 essential amino acids and omega 3 fatty acids. I blended them with the rest of the ingredients for an extra boost of nutrients instead of using the typical plant milk.
Nutritional Yeast– Your dairy-free best friend! Not only does it taste AND sprinkle like parmesan cheese but it has a full range of B vitamins, 16 different amino acids, and minerals your body needs!
So there you have it. A comforting bowl of nutritional superstars masquerading as a dreamy creamy cheezy sauce.
You might also want to spread it on your pizza…
twirl it with angel hair pasta
dip corn chips into it….
Superfood Cheezy Mac
You won’t believe I packed 5 super foods into this rich velvety cheeze sauce blanketing tender macaroni noodles.Nut-free, dairy-free and delicious!
1 head of cauliflower, separated into florets
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, whole
1 large carrot, chopped
1 cup of water
1/3 cup sunflower seeds, soaked for atleast 2 hours
1/2 cup hemp seeds
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon olive oil
juice of half a lemon
2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
teaspoon apple cider vinegar (or more lemon)
4 cups uncooked macaroni (quinoa, brown rice, spelt)
- Preheat your oven to 425 F, and spread out cauliflower florets, chopped onion, carrot and garlic. Drizzle with melted coconut oil and bake for 40 minutes, taking it out of the oven once and a while to toss everything around
- While your cauliflower is roasting, add into high speed blender: water, soaked sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder and salt.
- Pull vegetables out of oven when cauliflower is slightly browned on the tips.
- Once vegetables are cool enough to handle, scoop them into blender.
- Blend on high for 2-5 minutes, until sauce is perfectly creamy. There should be no grainy bits. Your blender may fight at first a bit, in this case spoon around the thick mixture to get rid of air pockets, add more olive oil or water. Pulsing seems to help too.
- Once mixture is completly smooth, taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. I added more salt, paprika, and dijon because I like a really strong cheese flavour.