zucchini berry radiance smoothie
The thermometer has been flashing -20 lately and it is natural for us to forget about our crush on the lovely zucchini. Raw soups and salads aren’t tempting us as much, and quite frankly zoodles just don’t cut it on cozy pasta night. The holy smoothie will never lead us a stray however, and it manages to put that spring in our step whether were wearing shorts or head to toe in fleece.
sick of out of spinach yesterday and decided it was fine time to shed some green power with another juicy green veg, the lovely zucchini! Not to mention, we should always try to switch up our greens to ensure we are giving our body a fine balance of the micronutrients it needs, and prevent the onset of any food sensitivities.
Why bother with this neutral vegetable? Well it blends pretty damn well in a smoothie. Its wide range of health benefits are also worth mentioning…
- weight management: the high fibre and water quality of the zucchini allow it to hydrate you, fill you up, for a very low amount of calories.
- rich source of antioxidants: vitamin c and a are predominant in zucchini; which are anti-inflammatory, cancer preventative, and vital for eye health.
- skin loving: The high water content, along with vitamin C + A allow it to aid in the body’s detoxification processes, and fight free radicals which are responsible for visible aging of the skin.
zucchini-berry radiance smoothie recipe (makes 1 large smoothie)
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 banana, frozen + chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen berries
- 3/4 coconut milk/water/or other plant milk
- 1 small tangerine or 1/2 an orange
- dash of orange/lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon spirulina (optional)
- scoop vanilla protein (optional)
Simply blend, blend, blend! If its not sweet enough for you, add a bit of maple syrup or more orange juice. I topped with pistachio, blackberries and some home made granola for breakfast!
FUEL YOUR AWESOME